The Auxiliary Unit was formed in 1976 and has become an integral part of the Barrie Police Service. Our auxiliary members have shown their support and dedication to our service over the years, and have provided more than 10,000 hours of volunteer work.
Auxiliary members are selected on the basis of their ability to complete the training program and their availability for service throughout the year. Auxiliary members are required to dedicate a minimum of 12 hours of active duty a month plus in-service training, meetings and yearly requalification. Auxiliary officers do not carry firearms, but they are fully trained in the use of firearms and therefore must qualify annually.
Consideration for appointment to the Barrie Police Auxiliary Unit is restricted to those who reside in the City of Barrie and the surrounding area.
The Auxiliary Unit supports the regular police service in many ways, including:
- Patrol escorts
- Traffic Control
- Crowd Control
- Community-based policing
- Crime prevention initiatives
- R.I.D.E program assistance
- Emergency callouts
On duty, auxiliary members must:
- Obey lawful orders implicitly
- Dress and behave as a member of a disciplined organization
- Conform to the Rules and Regulations of the Police Services Act and the Barrie Police Service
Members of the Auxiliary have no police authority/power and must rely on the same arrest provisions afforded regular citizens.
Auxiliary members are not issued firearm; they are fully trained in their use and must be capable of handling firearms in unusual or critical circumstances.
Applicants must submit a complete application package, including all necessary documents (see below). Application packages that are submitted incomplete will not be processed.
- Cover letter and resume
- Copy of a valid First Aid /CPR C Certificate
- Civilian Application Form (Original signed copy)
- Civilian Authorization for Release of Information Waiver (original signed copy)
Applicants can submit their complete application package and required forms by mail or hand-deliver to:
The Barrie Police Service
29 Sperling Drive
Barrie, ON L4M 6K9
Attention: Employment Unit
* Application packages for all positions are kept for a six month period.
For additional information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join Our Team
Recent Press Releases
- Sun., Oct. 23, 2016 - 1:00 am
- Wed., Oct. 21, 2015 - 2:15 pm
- Thu., Oct. 20, 2016 - 7:00 am
- Tue., Oct. 18, 2016 - 10:00 am
- Mon., Oct. 17, 2016 - 1:30 pm