Barrie Police Services Board
Choose a link:
- Police Board Membership
- Members of the Board
- Board Responsibilities
- Public Complaints
- Barrie Police Service Budget
- Board News and Events
- Board Contact Information
- Board Meetings
- Board Minutes
In accordance with the Ontario Police Services Act the Barrie Police Services Board is comprised of five (5) members:
The Head of the municipal council, or if the Head chooses not to be a member of the Board, another member of the Council appointed by resolution of the Council. One person appointed by resolution of Council who is neither a member of the Council nor an employee of the Municipality. Two persons appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
- Chair - James Dickie
- Vice - Chair - Angela Lockridge
- Chair Council Appointment, Chair City of Barrie Mayor - Jeff Lehman
- Chair Council Appointment - Doug Shipley
- Provincial Appointment - Linda Collins
As outlined in Section 31(1) of the Ontario Police Services Act a Board is responsible for the provision of adequate and effective police services in the municipality and shall:
(a) Appoint the members of the municipal police service
(b) Generally determine, after consultation with the Chief of Police, objectives and priorities with respect to police services in the municipality
(c) Establish policies for the effective management of the police service
(d) Recruit and appoint the Chief of Police and any Deputy Chief of Police, and annually determine their remuneration and working conditions, taking their submissions into account
(e) Direct the Chief of Police and monitor his or her performance
(f) Establish policies respecting the disclosure by Chiefs of Police of personal information about individuals
(g) Receive regular reports from the Chief of Police on disclosures and decisions made under section 49 (secondary activities)
(h) Establish guidelines with respect to the indemnification of members of the police service for legal costs under section 50
(i) Establish guidelines for dealing with complaints made under Part V
(j) Review the Chief of Police's administration of the complaints system under Part V and receive regular reports from the Chief of Police on his or her administration of the complaints system
The Barrie Police Services Board is required to establish policies for the effective management of the police service (s.31(1)c). In particular, the Board has the responsibility to establish guidelines for dealing with complaints made under Part V of the Police Services Act (the "Act") to review the Chief of Police's administration of the complaints system under Part V, and to receive regular reports from the Chief of Police on his administration of the complaints system (s.31(1)(j).
Office of the Independent Police Review Director: Part V of the Police Services Act, as amended, established a new Independent Police Review Director and created a new public complaints process. The Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD) opened on October 19, 2009 and oversees all public complaints about police. The OIPRD's role is to make sure that public complaints against police in Ontario are dealt with fairly, efficiently and effectively. To make a complaint to the OIPRD a person may fill out a form online, fax or mail a complaint or submit a complaint in person at the OIPRD office. In addition, a person may also submit a completed complaint form to any regional, municipal or provincial police station in Ontario. The police will then forward the complaint to the OIPRD. Additional information can also be found at www.oiprd.on.ca.
- Complaints About Conduct: If the complaint is about the conduct of a police officer, other than the Chief of Police of Deputy Chief of Police, the OIPRD will refer it to the Chief of Police of the Barrie Police Service, the Chief of Police of another police service, or retain it and deal with it.
- Complaints About Policies or Services: If the complaint is about the policies of, or services provided by, the Barrie Police Service, the OIPRD may decide not to deal further with the complaint or may refer it to the Chief of Police who must review the complaint and take any action, or no action, in response to the complaint as he considers appropriate. His decision may be reviewed by the Board. In conducting a review, the Board or committee may hold a public meeting respecting the complaint.
- Complaints Against the Chief of Police or Deputy Chief of Police: In the case of a complaint about the conduct of the Chief or Deputy Chief of Police, the OIPRD will refer the complaint to the Board. The Board will review the complaint and if, in the Board's opinion, the conduct complained of may constitute a specified offence, misconduct or unsatisfactory work performance, the Board will ask the OIPRD to investigate the complaint. Following the investigation, unless the OIPRD determines the complaint to be unsubstantiated, the Board may hold a hearing into the matter, refer the matter to the Ontario Civilian Police Commission to hear the matter, or attempt to resolve the matter informally (in specified circumstances).
The Board approves the budget presented by the Chief of Police prior to submitting it to Municipal council for approval.
If you wish to make a presentation or deputation to the Board, please provide a written request to the Secretary of the Board with an outline to the Barrie Police Services Board at least 10 days prior to the meeting date.
Barrie Police Services Board
29 Sperling Drive
Barrie, ON L4M 6K9
Phone: 705-725-7025, ext. 2206
Board meetings are held on the 4th Thursday of every month (except July) at 9:30 a.m., Barrie Police Headquarters, 29 Sperling Drive, Barrie, Ontario.
|March 2013||April 2013||May 2013||June 2013|
|August 2013||September 2013||October 2013||November 2013|
|January 2014||February 2014||March 2014||April 2014|
|May 2014||August 2014||September 2014||October 2014|
|November 2014||December 2014|
|January 2015||February 2015||March 2015||May 2015|
|June 2015||August 2015||September 2015||October 2015|
|November 2015||December 2015|
|January 2016||February 2016||March 2016||April 2016|
Recent Press Releases
- Sat., Jul. 23, 2016 - 2:38 am
- Wed., Jul. 20, 2016 - 2:19 am
- Thu., Jul. 21, 2016 - 7:00 am
- Wed., Jul. 20, 2016 - 2:35 am
- Tue., Jul. 19, 2016 - 5:40 am