The City of Barrie has issued the following media release:
City launches COVID-19 Enforcement Line
(Barrie, ON) The City of Barrie has set up a dedicated COVID-19 Enforcement Line for the public to report instances of non-compliance with the COVID-19 emergency orders. Members of the public can call the COVID-19 Enforcement Line at 705-739-4241 or email at [email protected]. Phone call volumes to the COVID-19 Enforcement Line may require you to leave a message. Please note that calls or emails received after 8 p.m. may be actioned the next day depending on available resources. For emergency matters, please call 911.
Once received, the complaints will be tracked and addressed by the City of Barrie Municipal Law Enforcement Officers, in collaboration with the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit Public Health Inspectors and the Barrie Police Service.
The City will investigate the following:
- Use of City-owned amenities (including playground structures, skateparks, etc)
- Gatherings of five or more in a public space
- Non-essential businesses that are providing in-person services to the public
The City’s Enforcement staff are currently conducting proactive patrols of all city parks. It is an offence to fail to comply with an emergency order. The maximum punishment is one-year imprisonment or a fine of up to $100,000 for an individual, $500,000 for a director of a corporation, or $10,000,000 for a corporation.
Provincial Government Information Lines:
Stop the Spread Business Information Line – a toll-free line (1-888-444-3659) for anyone with questions about closures of at-risk workplaces or how emergency measures impact their business or employment.
A Price Gouging hotline is also available. Consumers can report an individual who is price gouging by filing a complaint at 1-800-889-9768 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, or by filing a report online.
Everyone in Ontario should be practicing physical distancing to reduce their exposure to other people. Avoid close contact (within 2 metres) with people outside of your immediate families.
If you think you may have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has it, first self-isolate and then use Ontario’s Self-Assessment Tool to see if you need to seek further care.
Take these everyday steps to reduce exposure to COVID-19 and protect your health:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer;
- Sneeze and cough into your sleeve;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth;
- Avoid contact with people who are sick; and
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Service Barrie: 705-726-4242
- Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit: 705-721-7520 or simcoemuskokahealth.org/
- Barrie Police Service Non-Emergency Line: 705-725-7025
- Ontario 211: Community and Social Services: call 211 or visit communityconnection.ca
- Canadian Mental Health Association: cmha.ca
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or kidshelpphone.ca
For more information, please contact:
Senior Communications Advisor
|Prepared by:||Corporate Communications Coordinator,|