(Barrie, ON) Today, Mayor Jeff Lehman signed the Barrie COVID-19 Emergency Measures By-law to help protect the health and safety of residents. The new by-law prohibits certain activities and regulates physical distancing to help contain the spread of COVID-19 in the community. Individuals not adhering to physical distancing regulation can be fined a minimum of $500 and maximum of up to $100,000 for each offence.
Municipal regulations under the by-law include:
• Prohibiting people from maintaining less than a 2.0 metre distance from one another on any public property (other than people they live with); • Prohibiting businesses to operate in a manner that would allow peopleto be seated or to be standing less than 2.0 metres apart whether inside or outside the business (other than people they live with); • Prohibiting people from using any of the following City property:
o playgrounds and other structures in parks such as benches, pavilions and shelters; o dog off leash areas; o picnic areas; o community gardens o outdoor sports facilities and outdoor fitness equipment, including sports fields, basketball, pickleball, disc golf, skateboard parks and tennis courts;
“Barrie is continuing to ensure our citizens stay home and stay safe,” says Mayor Jeff Lehman. “By implementing this new bylaw, it’s our hope that our City will help Ontario and Canada slow the spread of COVID-19. We all need take this seriously now for the health of our families, our friends and our community. If you have to go out for essential needs, only send one member of the household, stay apart and be safe.”
If residents wish to report a non-compliant business, the use of public amenities that are closed or gatherings of more than five people, they are asked to call 705-739-4241 or email [email protected]. A by-law enforcement officer and/or security personnel will investigate the complaint to ensure compliance and may lay charges when appropriate. For emergency matters, please call 911.
For the latest updates to City services, visit www.barrie.ca/Services.
• Service Barrie: 705-726-4242
• Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit: 705-721-7520 or simcoemuskokahealth.org/
• Barrie Police Service Non-Emergency Line: 705-725-7025
• Ontario 211: Community and Social Services: call 211 or visit communityconnection.ca
• Canadian Mental Health Association: cmha.ca
• Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or kidshelpphone.ca
For more information, please contact: Scott LaMantia Senior Communications Advisor [email protected] 705-794-0517