Early this morning, just before 1:00 a.m., officers from the Barrie Police Service were travelling southbound on Bayfield Street and observed a motor vehicle being operated without its full headlighting system. Officers activated their emergency equipment and the involved motor vehicle turned left onto Sophia Street East and came to a stop.
Barrie Police officers approached the car and based upon observations that were made, requested the driver and a female passenger to exit it so that a proper search could be safely conducted.
After the search was completed, the driver, a 22-year-old male from Scarborough, Ontario, was found to be in possession of suspected cocaine, fentanyl and oxycodone and was immediately taken into custody and transported to Police Headquarters where the investigation continued. The female passenger was not arrested.
The accused, as a result of the drug related investigation, has been held in custody pending a bail hearing that is scheduled to take place by video this afternoon and is facing the following charges:
- Possession of a schedule I Substance (Cocaine)
- Possession of a schedule I Substance (Fentanyl)
- Possession of a schedule I Substance (Oxycodone)
- Possession of a schedule I Substance for the purpose of trafficking (Cocaine)
- Possession of a schedule I Substance for the purpose of trafficking (Fentanyl)
- Possession of a schedule I Substance for the purpose of trafficking (Oxycodone)
- Failure to comply with undertaking
- Drive without proper headlights – motor vehicle
- Obstruct plate
- Fail to have insurance card
- Have care or control of vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available
Drive vehicle or boat with cannabis in open original packaging
|Corporate Communications Coordinator Peter Leon