Early Saturday morning (January 20, 2024), at 1:27 a.m., officers from the Barrie Police Service observed a motor vehicle parked on North Street with four male occupants in seated within it. As the officers approached the car, the odour of cannabis was detected emanating from it and police immediately commenced an investigation.
While conducting a search of the involved car, a large quantity of suspected fentanyl, cocaine and methamphetamine was located. All four males were taken into custody for Possession of a Schedule I Drug, contrary to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.
As the males were being arrested and searched, one male was found to be in possession of a loaded 9mm semi-automatic handgun. Also located was a large quantity of Canadian currency.
The males, who are all from Toronto, and range in age from 17-22 years of age (two were 21 years old), were transported to Barrie Police Headquarters where the investigation continued well into the early morning hours. Investigators were also able to confirm that the firearm was stolen.
All four males were held for a bail hearing and have been jointly charged with:
- Possession CDSA SCHEDULE I Cocaine
- Possession CDSA SCHEDULE I Methamphetamine
- Possession CDSA SCHEDULE I Opioid other then Heroin
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking – Cocaine
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking – Methamphetamine
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking – Opioid other then Heroin
- Possession weapon for dangerous purpose
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Knowledge of Unauthorized possession of firearm.
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000.
|Corporate Communications Coordinator Peter Leon