The City of Barrie is one of North America’s fastest-growing cities. Our city has a diverse economy, education, medical and recreation facilities which are of the highest standards.
The Barrie Police Service is a
Minimum Requirements for Experienced Police Officers
- Successful completion of recruit training at the Ontario Police College (experienced Police Officers policing outside of Ontario, or with the RCMP, are required to complete the OPC Exemption Exam, if eligible)
- Successful completion of their probationary period with their current service, pursuant to Section 44.1 of the Police Services Act
- Must be a currently serving member in good standing with their service, i.e. no outstanding discipline matters or charges
- Possess a valid Class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s licence with full driving privileges
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR (Level C) Certificate
Canadian Military Police Officers or Police Officers with experience outside of Canada must apply through the regular Police Constable Selection process.
Please print and carefully review the Experienced Police Officer Application Package Checklist Incorrect or incomplete packages will not be accepted. Failure to submit all required documents may eliminate you from this process. Applicants must possess all necessary certifications as outlined in the posting at the time of application unless otherwise stated.
- Application for the Position of Police Constable
- Constable Selection System Consent and Release of Liability Form (original hand-signed copy)
- Detailed CV and resume
- Copy of OSSD certificate, transcripts or equivalent
- Copy of post-secondary certificate(s), diploma(s), degree(s), or transcripts from an accredited educational institution
– Candidates educated outside of Canada are required to obtain an Ontario equivalency assessment document – Educational credential assessment (ECA) for Express Entry: What it is – Canada.ca
- Copy of Ontario Police College Certificate (BCT) or equivalency
- Copy of internal resume AND/OR police courses and training records
- Optional letter(s) of recommendation
- Copy of a valid Standard First Aid/CPR C Certificate
– Proof of First Aid certification listed within police courses and training records will be accepted
- Copy of Driver’s Licence (front and back)
– Applicants who do not possess a valid Ontario Licence class “G” will be required to submit a Drivers Abstract along with copy of Driver’s licence (front and back)
- Copy of ONE of the following Canadian Government issued documents is required:
– Birth Certificate
– Valid Canadian Passport
– Permanent Resident Status Card
– Canadian Citizenship Card
- Copy of current PIN certificate (issued during 2021 or 2022) OR completed copies of OACP fitness logs for a minimum of two weeks preceding application submission – Constable Selection Process/Checklist – OACP Certificate Testing
*Please note that all applicants who move to the Background Stage will be required to participate in and achieve a minimum passing grade of 75% on the PIN test conducted by BPS PIN appraisers at that time.
Complete applications will be accepted via:
Email: one (1) PDF no larger than 30 MB, containing a complete application package to [email protected]
- Mail, courier, or hand-deliver to:
Barrie Police Service Headquarters
ATTN: Human Resources/Employment Unit
110 Fairview Road
Barrie, ON L4N 8X8
Once a complete application package is received, you will be sent an acknowledgment email. For those applicants that are not contacted, your application package will remain active for a period of twelve (12) months.
Please forward any supplemental documents or updates to: [email protected]
(2) CANDIDATE SCREENING DAY (CSD)
Only the applicants deemed to be most competitive will be contacted and invited to attend a Candidate Screening Day. The CSD will provide applicants the opportunity to complete a written Local Focus Assessment which is comprised of a written question and answer portion along with a Pre-Background Questionnaire.
(3) BLENDED LOCAL FOCUS INTERVIEW (LFI) and COMPETENCY BASED INTERVIEW
This interview will include a review of the information provided by the applicant on the CSD to ensure accuracy, and further assess the applicant’s abilities to meet the local needs of the Barrie Police Service. Competency-based questions will also be posed during this interview. Candidate will be expected to provide relevant examples which best responds to the question asked, based on past events or experiences. Responses may be evaluated through background investigation.
(4) PSYCHOLOGICAL TEST/PSYCHOLOGICAL INTERVIEW
Applicants may be required to complete a written test(s) and may subsequently be required to participate in an interview with a designated psychologist.
(5) BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
This stage involves an in-depth investigation into the applicant and all information that has been provided throughout the entire application process.
(6) PIN TESTING
Recruits must demonstrate the ability to achieve a score of 75% on their Fitness PIN. The components of the Fitness PIN are:
- 2.4 km run OR 20-meter shuttle run
- Sit and reach
- Back extension
(7) CONDITIONAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT
Subject to satisfactory results of the above, candidates may be presented with a conditional offer of employment, subject to a pre-employment medical.