Police Constable Requirements
The City of Barrie is one of North America’s fastest-growing cities. Our city has a diverse economy, education, medical and recreation facilities which are of the highest standards.
Individuals considering career choices today have many options. Choosing policing opens the door to a challenging and fulfilling future. The Barrie Police Service is a
To help you discover policing, the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) has put together an informational booklet.
Do You Have What it Takes
Basic minimum for most Police Services
To be considered for a career in policing, you must meet certain minimum requirements as outlined in the Police Services Act.
Specifically, you MUST:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position, having regard to your own safety and the safety of members of the public.
- Have successfully completed at least four years of secondary school education or its equivalent. (Note: official transcripts and diplomas will be required.)
- Where education has been completed outside Ontario, official proof of equivalency must be obtained by contacting the Ontario Ministry of Education and Training.
- Be of good moral character and habits, meaning that you are an individual other people would look upon as being trustworthy and having integrity.
In addition, you MUST:
- Possess a valid driver’s licence with no more than six accumulated demerit points, permitting you to drive an automobile in Ontario with full driving privileges.
- Have current certification in CPR and first aid by the time the offer of employment is given.
- Be able to pass a security clearance as well as background investigation, credit, and reference checks.
- If you have any criminal convictions under a federal statute, you must obtain a pardon. If you have ‘Findings of Guilt’ which have resulted in absolute or conditional discharges, the records must be ‘sealed’ by the RCMP.
Police Constable Selection Requirements
The Barrie Police Service subscribes to the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) Constable Selection System and only resumes accompanied by a valid OACP Certificate of Test Results can be considered by the Service.
Applicants must submit a complete application package including:
- Cover letter and resume (outlining education, training, and experience)
- Copy of a valid First Aid /CPR C Certificate
- Police Officer Application Form (Original signed copy)
- Fitness Log and Daily Journal
- Copy of a valid OACP Certificate of Results
- Constable Selection System Consent and Release of Liability Form (Original signed copy)
- OACP Medical Forms
- Vision Assessment Form – Appendix A
- Hearing Assessment Form – Appendix B
- Applicant Declaration, Acknowledgement and Consent
(2) CANDIDATE SCREENING DAY (CSD) AND SHUTTLE RUN
Only the applicants deemed to be most competitive will be contacted and invited to attend a Candidate Screening Day including a Local Focus Assessment and a Shuttle Run. The Candidate Screening Day and Local Focus Assessment will last approximately 4 hours and will provide applicants the opportunity to complete the Pre-Background Questionnaire and a written Local Focus Assessment, which is comprised of a written question and answer portion and a written essay.
Once completed, the candidates are invited to stay and participate in a shuttle run. The outcome of this result will not be a PASS/FAIL, but will be a scored component and will be used to determine a candidate’s overall competitiveness.
(3) LOCAL FOCUS INTERVIEW (LFI)
Applicants invited to this stage must bring the original and copy of the following items:
- Valid OACP certificate of results
- Valid Ontario driver’s license
- MTO driver’s abstract
- Proof of either: Canadian Citizenship/Landed Immigrant Status/Permanent Residency Status
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or Equivalent
- High School transcripts
- College/University Diplomas, Certifications, Degrees, etc.
- All post-secondary transcripts, even if the program was not completed
This interview will include a review of the information provided by the applicant to ensure accuracy, and further assess the applicant’s abilities to meet the local needs of the Barrie Police Service. Only the most competitive applicants will be contacted and invited to attend an LFI.
(4) ESSENTIAL COMPETENCY INTERVIEW
In accordance with the Constable Selection System, candidates will participate in a full Essential Competency Interview. This interview could take up to 4 hours to complete. Candidates will be advised of their results at the conclusion of the interview.
(5) PSYCHOLOGICAL TEST/PSYCHOLOGICAL INTERVIEW
Applicants may be required to complete a written MMPI-2 RF test, and may subsequently be required to participate in an interview with a designated psychologist to determine if they are acceptable for a position as a police constable.
(6) BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
This stage involves an in-depth investigation into the applicant and all information that has been provided throughout the entire application process.
(7) PIN TESTING
Recruits must demonstrate the ability to achieve a score of 75% on their Fitness PIN. The components of the Fitness PIN are:
- 2.4 km run
- Sit and reach
- Back extension
(8) CONDITIONAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT
Subject to satisfactory results, candidates may be offered employment conditional to receiving medical clearance
The recruiting process is highly competitive, and the Barrie Police Service receives a large volume of recruit applications every year. For this reason, only the applicants deemed most competitive at each stage will be notified and advised that they were successful.
For those applicants that are not contacted, your application file will remain active for a period of twelve (12) months. Applicants are invited to re-apply from the Application Stage if no action has been taken on your file within the twelve (12) month period.
All qualified candidates can submit their COMPLETE application package by mail or hand-deliver to:
The Barrie Police Service
110 Fairview Road
Barrie, ON L4N 8X8
Attention: Employment Unit
Phone: 705-725-7025 ext. 2758
Email: [email protected]