Police & the Community


Body Recovered From Kempenfelt Bay

Body Recovered From Kempenfelt Bay
April 21st, 2008 - Police & the Community

UPDATE (22APR2008 - 1600hrs)

As a result of the post mortem conducted on April 22, 2008, it has been determined that cause of death of the female located in Kempenfelt Bay was drowning.

Barrie Police have identified the victim as Kathleen SANDERSON, 70 years, of Wellington Street in Barrie.

At this time, Barrie Police do not suspect foul play in this matter and are assisting the Coroner's Office with their investigation.

Barrie Police are seeking the assistance of the public in attempt to establish the movements of the victim before she was located deceased in Kempenfelt Bay.

Investigators have received information that the victim may have been in the area of Wellington Street or the downtown core of Barrie between the evening of Sunday April 20th and when she was located on the morning of Monday April 21, 2008.

The victim is described as small build with short grey and black hair. At the time the victim was wearing the following:

* Navy blue spring jacket (with small red ribbon on front)

* White T-Shirt

* Tan Pants

* Black Shoes

Police request that if members of the public observed the victim during the specified time period, that the contact Barrie Police at (705) 725-7025 #2160.

Sgt Dave Goodbrand

On April 21, 2008, at approximately 6:30am, Barrie Police responded to a call at Kempenfelt Bay in the area of 217 Dunlop Street West after two citizens located a body floating off the shoreline.

The body of a female was removed from the water and transported to Royal Victoria Hospital where a post mortem will be conducted to determine the cause of death. The scene is expected to be contained for most of today and possibly tomorrow for investigative purposes.

At this time it does not there does not to be any suspected foul play in this matter.

Details on the age and identity of the female are not being released at this time.

Further details will be provided when available from investigators.

Sgt Dave Goodbrand