Barrie Police are reminding the public to ensure their vehicles are locked and valuables removed after a significant increase in thefts from vehicles was reported in the month of April.
While people are spending more time at home, it doesn’t remove the need to keep vehicles and valuables secure. Most of these thefts have occurred in residential areas in the overnight and early morning hours.
The Barrie Police Service Crime Prevention Unit has a few reminders to help keep your belongings secure.
- As part of your before-bed routine, ensure your vehicles are locked.
- Don’t keep valuables in your vehicle. If you have to travel with valuables, make sure they are out of sight and not visible from outside the vehicle.
- Never leave your wallet / financial cards in your vehicle.
- Secure any valuables that are outside of your residence and close your garage door when you aren’t outside.
- Exterior lighting and home security cameras can help deter would-be thieves from approaching your vehicle.
- Don’t leave personal identification, vehicle registration, insurance certificates or financial cards in your vehicle.
If you have had a theft from your vehicle, it can be reported online at any time on the Barrie Police website: https://www.barriepolice.ca/services/
Anyone who may have information related to a theft from a vehicle, please contact the Barrie Police Service at 705-725-7025 ext. 2550. Information can be also provided anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or leave an anonymous tip online at www.p3tips.com.
For more information on Crime Prevention, please visit our website at: https://www.barriepolice.ca/safety-crime-prevention/